Saturday, July 23, 2011

What we're doing this year

First things first, I will not be continuing my links posts. It's just too time-consuming. If there's a particular subject you'd like to check out websites for, let me know & I'll send you the folder.

What I'm going to do with this post is share with you what we'll be working on this year. I've tried to strike a balance between what Sean's interested in (it was his decision to do biology this year) and what I think should be covered (studying the 50 states was my idea). I'll let you know up front that we do lots of worksheets (because that's what he likes) and very few artsy-craftsy projects. He'll be doing more research this year (both for history and science) than before, but he's getting pretty good at navigating the interwebs. There will also be a few lapbooks thrown in (more about those later).

So, for the 2011-2012 school year, we're doing the following:


Mondays (science)


Now, I don't expect to use all of the worksheet sites (I've already printed out all the ones I'm planning to use from KBTeachers and Super Teachers Worksheets), but I bookmarked them just in case. I want to have options, depending on what Sean shows the most interest in.


Tuesdays (history/geography)


Wednesday (math)
We also have lots of manipulatives and a Pizza Fraction Fun game. 


Thursday (language arts)
Fridays are unscheduled. Sometimes they're reading or educational TV days; sometimes they're used to catch up or cover a subject that, for whatever reason, wasn't done on its scheduled day. I'm hoping to maybe add in a little art and/or music this year, but we'll see.

We'll also be doing multiplication review and reading comprehension (main idea, summarizing, etc.) every day.

3 comments:

  1. It all sounds so organized! And fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hard part is breaking it down day-by-day. At least the LotR stuff comes w/ a schedule, so that's one subject I don't have to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great!

    Re: your comment about PA and counting days... my homeschool liaison has always told me not to wait for her "approval" letter to start homeschooling, so I have always started counting in July even though I usually don't get her letter till the end of August. I don't know if the law specifically addresses this.

    ReplyDelete