Sunday, April 10, 2011

Wait, you want to do what?

A couple of weeks ago, Sean informed me that he thought he'd like to go back to school.  Say WHAT?!  He said he thought he'd like to be around other kids again...that he missed having friends.  He was very careful to make sure that I knew that it wasn't because he didn't like being home with me, that my feelings weren't hurt. (I have to say, these rare moments when he's clued in to someone else's feelings are just so precious.)

To backtrack a bit, Sean decided to do King's Kids this year for the first time ever.  (For those of you unfamiliar w/ KK, it's our church's...children's choir, for lack of a better term.  They don't just sing, but do little musicals twice a year--very cute stuff.)  Sean has never, ever, ever, been a joiner.  EVER.  We tried King's Kids when he was younger, and it DID NOT work out.  Anyhoo, this time around, it's going beautifully.  He even got a tiny little solo. :-)

I absolutely want to support this, but there's no way I will send him to Southwest/The Citadel/Reading High.  Nope, not gonna happen.  Jessica's doing well, but Sean?  The phrase "eaten alive" keeps popping into my head.  So I'm thinking about sending him to New Story.  I haven't contacted anyone yet, but I think that if Reading doesn't have appropriate accommodations for him (and I don't think they do), the school district has to pay the tuition.

I'm a little sad (I'm sure it'll get worse if this all pans out) that I won't have him home with me anymore during the day, but I'm also thrilled that he wants to do this.  It's our job as parents to give our kids wings & watch them soar--even if we wish they'd stay in the nest a little bit longer.

5 comments:

  1. It was one of the hardest things I ever had to let go of, to send my big kids back to school. But they are happy, and since that was my ultimate goal in the first place, I couldn't fight it. I think knowing that homeschooling is always something we have in our back pocket makes it much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's awesome news!! I understand your mixed feelings, but I bet it will be great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so fun to read the stories of your children growing and trying out their wings. Fun for me; I can imagine that the fun will be mixed with several other things for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *Wow* Start looking into it now. I want this for him but you may have a battle on your hands regarding them paying. Good thing your fave sister is seasoned paralegal with excellent research skills!

    ReplyDelete